Monday, April 14, 2008

Fairhill Race Report

Sunday morning, the Goat, K-Lo, and I headed up to Elkton for what promised to be a fun-filled day of mountain biking at Fair Hill. K-Lo and I were set to race at 10:30, but after waiting in line 45 minutes for my number I was glad to hear they moved the start back to 11. I didn’t get much of a warm-up in… I’m bad that way… I just rode around on my bike until I heard them calling for the Sport riders to report to the line. I was amazed at all the women, close to 45 of us lined-up. I was also happy to see some new faces on the mountain bike scene (Harlow, Estes) as well as the familiar ones (Monkey, Donna, Fetrow, Peg).

Harlow.

I knew nothing of the course, just that it started with a small gravel road climb over a bridge, then down a gravel descent to a nice dirt road. I had no idea where the “hole shot” would be but thought that some rider’s comfort level with the fast gravel descent would be tested and that was probably going to work to my advantage. (I’m not saying I love loose gravel, but all my WV riding has helped tremendously with my ability to ride that stuff without burning up my brakes.) I wanted to be near the front so that when the single track began I was not behind too many riders.

The Sport ladies lined-up for the start.

As luck would have it, they started the “young” sport riders first. This left me on the first row of “old” sport ladies so things were looking good. At the starting horn I had no intention of going too hard up the climb… I just wanted to keep up with whatever pace the leaders were setting. When we hit the gravel descent, my suspicions were confirmed as most riders hit the brakes and I was able to pass everyone except for 2 ladies. At this point, right before the single track, some one announced that she was “making her move!” I thought that was kind of funny, but when she went whizzing past me I got on her wheel. She blew up shortly after the single track began, probably not even 2 miles into the 7 mile lap. At that point I passed her and was now in the lead with one other lady in tow. I went as hard as possible but couldn’t shake her, but at least opened up a gap to the rest of the field. We rode like this almost the entire first lap, even thru the technical section of the course. I could tell she was a much better technical rider than I am and asked her several times if she wanted to pass. She did not and remained glued to my wheel. At some point, no where memorable, I crashed hard. Joanne (I now knew her name) stopped to make sure I was ok. (In reality, she HAD to stop as I was spread out all over the trail tangled up with my bike.) As I was assessing the damage she just stood there waiting for me. I told her to go on, I’d be ok but needed to back off the pace for a bit to shake off my crash. And that’s how the first lap ended.

The gap after the first lap. The leader (Joanne) and I'm right behind in the chute.

The second lap I started to recover but try as I might I could not catch Joanne’s wheel. She was super smooth thru the tight, twisty turns (not my strength) while I would gain ground on the climbs and power sections. Nearing the end of the lap (and the race) I got caught behind a couple of guys that Joanne had easily passed, taking my time gap up to 23 seconds in the end. You can always tell a good mountain biker by how well they pass riders on the course. Joanne high-fived me at the finish and we talked for a bit afterwards. We both agreed that it was nice to have each other out there, pushing each other to our limits. So my first mountain bike race of the year is in the books with a second place finish.

The Goat also had a great race. Hopefully she’ll blog about it.

And finally, I want to thank my mountain bike team, Bean’s Bikes. You guys are great. Case in point:
  • At the start line, Wendy comes running up to me to see if I need anything… do I need food, water, her to take my warmers. Just so nice and caring.
  • During the race I hear so many people cheering for me (Go Beans!) I hardly know anyone on the team, but that doesn’t matter… you have the kit on, you are family.
  • After the race, Sean pulls out a wad of cash and gives me back my entry fee.
  • Not to mention the free beer from Victory Brewing at every race and my cool new Victory Brewing T-shirt.
  • Plus the best lube from our sponsors, Pro Link.
What a great day. In the end I walked away with lots of cool stuff but even better memories.

Results here.

Pictures here and here.

6 comments:

goat said...

Beans rocks! And so do you, little chicken.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Chicken!!!! I'm not worthy to know you or the Goat

Lorena said...

Yeah Chicken!!! 2nd place in a competitive race - that's awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.

Kim said...

Go Beans, Indeed!!! well done & keep it up :)

Kim said...

Go Beans, Indeed!!! well done & keep it up :)