Walkersville W 1/2/3 race:
2nd lap (out of 6) and I was ready to drop out. I've never considered dropping out of a race before, but I was feeling poopie. Janet O rode up beside me and encouraged me to stick with it, which I did. At the start of the 3rd lap there was a split in the field. At first I thought I was just at the back of the pack and had gotten dropped. Janet O was once again there to assist me and we started chasing. I was about to pop and sat up. At that moment about 20 riders went around me. I was startled, not realizing all those people were behind us, and said some things I'm now regretting. Anyway, we were able to reconnect with the group in front of us and, after all that effort, the following few laps felt easy. In the final lap I was once again separated from the front group but the Goat helped me out a bit and I was able to have a good finish (14th overall and 5th in the Cat 3's).
Note of the day: Superstar CK went on a solo break for almost all of lap 2. We caught her somewhere during lap 3, but then she took off again, only to be caught at the finish, eventually ending up 2nd. Like I said in my Jeff Cup race report... when I grow up I want to be like CK. Lorena (Rockstar) won once again.
Tysons Corner W 1/2/3 race:
For this race I was not feeling as poopie but I was definitely more nervous. This was my first 1/2/3 crit/circuit race (whatever you want to call it) with the big girls. The start was crazy with a fast and furious pace and people riding all over the place. After about 5 laps things started to settle down and I found my groove. At some point with a break up the road, some people tried to bridge and I went with them. We were not able to bridge, but Jen C laid down a beautiful counter and bridged-up to the break. I was now in the hurt locker, but once again Janet O to the rescue. She got in front of me and pulled me back up to the pack which I had lost contact with. The rest of the race seemed easy from this point on. With 2 laps to go I tried to stay on Jeanette W's (the eventual winner) wheel but lost it with about a half-lap to go to the finish. I was in horrible position for the sprint but was able to pass a couple of people for 17th overall and once again 5th in the Cat 3's. During the sprint I was behind some riders that decided not to sprint. My fault and I should have handled it better than yelling an obscenity. I believe it was GD so extra sorry about that one.
So that's the weekend in a nutshell. My sincerest thanks to Janet O. I owe you big time.


5 comments:
You don't give yourself enough credit! Also, I am absolutely amazed by how you can go from dangling off the back to busting out a kick-ass sprint! Nicely done.
BTW, I'll have different bar tape by our next race.
Hey Christina - sorry your weekend was a rough one. We can't always be like Brooke on Idol - annoyingly sweet and happy all of the time! I hope the weather holds for your mountain bike race
Chickens are fast when provoked.
Anna - If you change your bar tape how will I know where you are in the peloton?
Laura - I'm waiting for Brooke's performance on AI right now to help me get back to my sweet self
Exactly
Post a Comment