Sunday, January 4, 2009

2008 in a Nutshell

2008 is officially in the books, has been for almost a week now, and I can safely say it was a year like no other. The way January 2008 started out with Mom getting sick and missing vacay out in Breckenridge, I was digging in my heels and preparing for the worst, but by the time December rolled around, I have to say, I had a good year.

On the family front, everyone is healthy and happy. I did not get home to Alabama near as often as I would have liked, but I did get to spend a week with my father riding across the great state of Iowa. It was an experience I will cherish always. Sad to say, I only made it home to Alabama twice. So here is resolution #1: spend more time with family this year.

On the work front, things went well. I have the most boring job in the universe but suffice it to say, I have a good job, with good co-workers, at a location that allows me to ride my bike to work every day and even provides indoor secure bike storage and shower and locker room facilities. What more could I ask for? Resolution #2: have a better attitude and motivation for work. It's hard to get excited about crunching numbers day in and day out, but it was my choice to become an accountant (a government economic accountant at that) so suck it up Nancy and try to set a good example.

On the running front.... ha! I think I ran a total of 30 miles this year. I had to bow out of the Myrtle Beach marathon that I was scheduled to run way back in February due to injury and never seemed to get in the rhythm again. I had a few more injuries that kept me from running later in the year. Would I like to run another marathon? Absolutely, but I don't see one in the near future. However, resolution #3: run more. Hmmm, maybe I can run the Nation's 1/2 marathon in March. I'll have to see what Coach has to say about it.

And now to the meat of the post, cycling. I can be a bit more specific here since I actually had goals for 2008. In a nutshell, I had my eye on the following:

1. Poolesville Road Race

2. MABRA Time Trial Championship

3. Win a MAC race.

4. Top 3 in the MAC series.

5. Top 10 at a USGP (Mercer Cup)

6. Cross Nationals

Along with these very specific goals I wanted to basically "not embarrass myself" in the women's category 1/2/3 road races and try some of the larger stage races. I spent a lot of time as a cat 4 getting dropped and being forced to upgrade with all of 6 points to my credit and only having won one race by virtue of being the first cat 4 across the line even though I was 5th overall.

So how did the season pan out?
  • I hit a pothole 15 minutes into the Poolesville race and had to abandon because my shift lever snapped off the handlebars.
  • I won the MABRA time trial championship.
  • I won a MAC race (4 of them!)
  • I won the MAC series.
  • I did not attend Mercer Cup or Nationals due to a fall-out with my team at the time.

Overall, I have to say that's pretty good. I did manage to survive most of the 1/2/3 races and would like to think that I even helped my team to some good finishes on the road. I also managed to make 1 major stage race (Fitchburg) and two local ones (Washington County and Millersburg). Performances at all three were mediocre. The TT championship just happened. I had not trained for it but had just gotten back from RAGBRAI and had some good miles in my legs. Honestly, the way my season had been going until then it really came out of nowhere. And winning the MAC championship, it was truly unexpected and I think I am still in shock over it.

My 2008 season ended on a great note... I won my last race at Capitol Cross. It was somewhat bittersweet and a summary of my entire cross season. My motivation to actually race had been waning because according to the new rules of the MAC and being allowed to drop races, I had already sealed the MAC championship. But then I spoke with a friend of mine and he told me I should not race if I was not out for the win. His words to me exactly: "You need to beat that field like it owes you money." Besides, I wanted to do well for my new team. At the mid-point of the race I had established a pretty good lead when I started thinking about the entire cross season and the tremendous ups and downs I had faced. I typically tune out everything when I race but now my concentration was being interrupted by thoughts and words, like a flashback of everything I had experienced in every race with C3. That's when the "money" comment came to mind and I regained my composure and stomped on the pedals again. Knowing you are about to win a race is an incredible feeling so coming up to the finish line I was thinking to myself, "Take that C3" but then out of nowhere I thought of Buttercup, my former teammate on C3 and how much she has meant to me. Thru everything that happened with C3, Buttercup was by my side, offering support (she even offered to go to Nationals and pit for me!) and motivation. I burst into tears and was crying as I crossed the finish line. No victory salute, just tears of joy, tears of sadness, and even tears of relief if such a thing exists. I then went to hide in my car until I was able to regain my composure.

And as for the team thing since so many of you have asked, I've been told never to speak of why I left. Kind of funny considering but I will just say this.

I will not be on a team that plays favorites. I will not be on a team that conducts back-door meetings to try and kick people off the team. If you have a problem with someone on the team, bring it up with them, or better yet at a team meeting at which they are present. Not saying these things happened on C3, I'm just saying that I will not be on a team that conducts itself in such a manner. I won't even go into the rest of my spiel. CycleLife has already proven that they certainly don't play games. If someone on the team has a problem it's all over the listserv. It's actually quite refreshing.

I will close with some pretty random photos from 2008. Here's looking forward to 2009.

Off camber downhill at the Reston MAC race, the last race of 2008 for me.

Podium shot from the Reston MAC race. This win was dedicated to Buttercup (aka Lorraine).

Amanda provided laughs at the Fitchburg stage race. She's a good traveling buddy and roomie, even though she lost my sock. How's that dollar bill patch job holding up?

2008, the year of the dog. Sonja and I dog sit for fun and would like to get one of our own,but we don't like vet bills. Besides, we pretty much had a dog every month in 2008.

Off season cross training at my local gym. I will make it thru this cave, just need to perfect this heel hook move first.

West Virginia riding. Not enough of it in 2008 and my climbing suffered. Or maybe it was that extra 10 pounds of lard I'm carrying around.

BP aka Beagle Pup aka Puppers.

Driver and Gary.

Crash victim. I fell in WV and hurt my hip forcing me to pull out of the Giro di Coppi.

WV back-country exploring on the cross bikes.

The White Dog.

Dad at RAGBRAI.


Gabby and I ready to go hiking.


Sandra Baby and I at some vineyard in Napa.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome Chicken! I admire and look up to you and hope to be able to race with you this season on and off the road.