My blogging has been scarce lately mostly due to the fact that my Internet was down at the homestead and once I got it up and running again, only the “wired” modem seems to work. Having to blog while tethered to a DSL cord and sitting in an uncomfortable chair at an uncomfortable desk is not appealing, especially since my preferred blogging mode is slouched on the sofa with some cycling DVD (doesn’t matter which one) on the tube and a glass of red wine. The Goat won’t let me drink wine in the “computer room” because I am likely to spill and get it all over the place. My lack of blogging can also be attributed to the fact that I am no longer writing race reports (at least not on this site – check out the Chicks in Black for those). There are however, several things that I’ve been meaning to blog about and in no particular order, here it goes:
My New Team – I absolutely love C3-Sollay.com and I am so honored to be a member of this team. It all started back in November/December. I was feeling a little lost on Route 1 Velo considering Sonja had moved on to Vanderkitten, Robin had left for Cyclelife, and K-Lo had quit. I have always had the utmost respect for the Major (she’s right up there with Chris K in my book) and I contacted her about the possibility of my joining C3. I feared they would not take me considering I am a Cat 3 and they are all 1’s and 2’s but I had to give it a shot. Of all the women’s teams in the area they seemed to be the one that loved to race, but most importantly have fun doing it. As an added bonus they all race cross. (Is that really surprising given that cross is the most fun one can have on a bike?) I got the ok to talk to Auer, the team director who also happens to be my coach – how convenient is that? Well, let’s just say there was some miscommunication and I wound up staying on Route 1 Velo a little longer, but officially made the jump to C3 last month and have not regretted it one bit. I do feel a little like I abandoned ship because Route 1 and Capitol Hill Bikes have done so much for me but I cannot stress the joy and happiness I get from having some of the most wonderful teammates ever. Here are some random tidbits about each of them.
Beth aka The Major: The Major is an electronics junkie and if she was not a physical therapist in the Army she’d most likely be an IT nerd, I mean professional, at some computer company. If you want to know about the latest and greatest iPhone or have questions about broadband and such, ask The Major.
Heidi aka Hotty: The team’s resident baker. Hotty never disappoints with the delectable baked goods after team training rides and races. Plus it’s fun having the hottest rider in the D20 on your team. But don’t be fooled, she has brains to go with that beauty and an incredible sense of humor. One thing we do have in common is our DD ritual before races. I think we should get them to sponsor us next year.
Elizabeth aka Harlow: I first met Harlow at a cross race in 2005. It was my first race ever (road, mountain, or cross). I remember Sue Haywood lapping me twice, but I also remember talking to Harlow after the race and thinking what a nice community these bike racers are. It’s people like you, Harlow, that have kept me coming back for more. BTW, I also remember Sean yelling at you and then you crashing on the tree roots. It’s so nice to finally be your teammate.
Lorainne (I need a nickname for you): I only recently met Lorainne. In fact, she may not remember but I introduced myself to her at the Strasburg Road Race back in March. I had an ulterior motive though… I was trying to figure out if she was in the Cat 2 35+ group. I never could figure it out so I just told Sonja to look out for her, she looks strong! Since then, I’ve learned that Lorainne is the sweetest person I’ve ever met. I should have known this anyway because anyone who loves horses and dogs the way she does can’t be too bad. Interesting fact – Lorainne formerly competed in equestrian show jumping.
Diane aka Diesel: Ah, the Diesel. Di Diesel is a fighter and has reached speeds of 56+ mph on her bike, and this was not on a nice long descent… this was on the Manayunk Fall. Absolutely fearless I tell you. She is an inspiration to us all and has a future in the coaching business if she ever wanted. I first met Diesel at the Hagerstown cross race last year (she remembers this too). We were lined-up at the start and she told me not to beat up on the old ladies. Ha! She wound up kicking my a$$ that day.
Janet aka Jo: Janet. What to say about Janet? Janet is a legend to me. Anyone that can break 1 hour in a 40K TT definitely has an engine, but getting to know Jo personally has been a pleasure. I find myself somewhat speechless around her. On the exterior she seems so matter of fact, but I do detect a bit of wild side underneath. She’s a Sagittarius for crying out loud and as my mother always says, “Still waters run deep.” Jo is also known for leading epic rides, you know, those rides that you are told will be about 40 miles and 2 hours long but when you finally get back it’s been something like 80 miles and 5 hours and somehow you’ve managed to get by on those 2 water bottles and 1 gu that you stuck in your pocket “just in case.” Remind me to never get Jo and Chris K together for a ride. I might not make it back. One thing I find surprising is that Janet is a painter and owns her own decorative painting business. Fascinating, especially so because I didn't think Sagittarians were supposed to be artistic. I know I'm not. I can't even draw a stick person.
And finally, Sonja aka the Goat: I will just say this, I would not be racing at all if it were not for Sonja. You can all blame her.
Whew! I had meant to blog about so many other things, especially the Pathletes that have been plaguing me lately, but I’m exhausted now. I’ll just have to save that rant for another time. Oh and to whoever commented on the C3 blog about why we race… I’ve got one coming for you too. In the meantime, if you care to show your face, just ask me in person. I’ll be happy to explain. No hard feelings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Hey Christina - congrats on the new team! Once again I am a bit lost with the racing lingo, but it all sounds fun. I read the entire post. What is a C3 and are they dissing on you guys somehow? I'm so confused. Best of luck on your next race. I posted some pictures of a recent hike up Mt. Sherman. Sonja will get to see a picture of her truck up in the mountains. Hope you are doing well - can't wait to see you both this fall! p.s. Boo Boo has learned to roll over - I hope to post a video of it soon, pretty funny for such a big dog. Take care - Laura
Hey Beth the techy gal - what do you think is the better phone choice - an iPhone or the upcoming Blackberry Bold? I am a complete electronics degenerate as well - Laura (Christina's friend from CO)
You are my Hero!!! We all look up to someone in the D20and while I look up to many for all sorts of different things, I admire you most of all :)
Laura, I'm not sure about the Blackberry Bold, I don't know too much about it. I just bought the ATT Tilt recently, and I love it. It is 3G Windows based phone with a touch screen and a full QWERTY keyboard also. With the IPhone, the biggest drawback to me was the touch screen is difficult to type on. I kept mis-striking letters, that was the deal-breaker for me on the IPhone. I like a big keyboard, so my phone is great for me, the Blackberry keyboard is a little small for my little pudgy fingertips.
Beth - thanks for the info. I've been very curious about the iPhone, but decided to go with the Blackberry Curve. So far I really like it - I upgraded over an older Blackberry. The Curve has a full size keyboard but the device itself is fairly small. I've always been partial to Blackberrys and I'm amazed at all of the features on the Curve - Laura
My brother (who actually does work in the IT industry) has a Curve and swears by Blackberrys. I also read a review in PC Magazine that lists one of the Blackberrys as the number 1 PDA/phone (the Iphone was #5, my phone didn't make the top 5).
Post a Comment