Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mid-Atlantic Cross Races #1 and #2

I have a lot of catching up to do so here goes. Last weekend were the first races of the MAC. These races are HUGE. They are UCI. All the big boys and girls come out to play. I had originally left them off of my schedule. I'm at the point in my season where I don't feel like traveling to races anymore, but I was convinced to race Granogue by K-Lo (who, by the way, backed-out on me!). So I flew solo up to Delaware for Saturday's race with no intention of racing Sunday in Pennsylvania.

All the usual suspects are there... Harlow, Nikki, Spaz, Monkey. I admit I felt overwhelmed by the atmosphere and because of this mistakenly lined myself up near the back. Mistake #1... never start at the back. In fact, elbow and push your way to the front if you have to. I had a good start but was mid-pack due to being third row, and apparently my technical riding skills are on vacation. I rode the course like a small child. No, I take that back, a small child could have beaten me. I rode like a grandma, but not somebody's fast grandma. More like a grandma that's 90 years old and in a walker. Mistake #2... don't ride the course like you are afraid to crash or you most definitely will crash. I did manage to pull off an 8th place finish. I don't know how. I should have been 7th but I underestimated the girl behind me... she pipped me at the finish. Mistake #3... never underestimate your competition. Oh, and during the race I heard someone cheering for me. I looked up and it's Kraut and Super Duper Tri Woman. Mistake #4... don't take your eyes off the course or you will run into the course tape.

After the race I was hanging out with Monkey and Dina. They convinced me that Sunday's race was suited to me and planted the seed in my head that maybe I should stay. It didn't hurt that Kraut lived nearby and was already hosting Sean and Harlow and what's one more. I could even wash my kit and when they told me what's for dinner, I was sold. Plus I could visit with Kraut. I haven't seen her since August as she's been marathon training and not racing her bike.

I won't go into the details of the evening but it was a good time with good friends.

Sunday morning we had a 45 minute drive over to Ludwig's Corner for race #2. Once we got there, I suited up and did a couple of laps and was licking my chops. This course was mine. I even shoved my way to the front row for the start, very uncharacteristic of me, but I was on a mission. I wanted to be on that podium and this course race was my best chance to date. The gun goes and I have my best start ever. In fact, Harlow, myself, and a couple of other random riders quickly separate ourselves from the rest. Things are going great until my bike breaks. UGH!!! I had been having problems with the front deraileur but now it decides to jam up the chain between the chainring and chain guide and seize up my crank. I went flying ass over nose on a downhill and nearly hit a tree. By the time I got up and got my senses I looked down at the resulting mess. My chain had wrapped itself around the pedal and rear deraileur. I finally managed to get it untangled but now I'm in last place. Not to be beaten though. It's times like these that teach us to be tough competitors and the meaning of giving it all you've got. I went on a tear and started passing women one by one. In the end I wound up 7th. Hey, one spot better than yesterday! I'll take that.

I'm taking the weekend off from racing which is ironic. There's a new cross race right here in DC... no travel necessary. But I have the dogs this weekend and will spend the weekend doing dog things.

Results from Granogue here.
Results from Wissahickon here.

No comments: