Sunday, December 9, 2007

Now that's what I call a cross race

Today was the Rockburn Cross race, the last race in the Mid-Atlantic region and the last race of my season. I went into the race with no expectations, having my foot injury and all and not having raced for about a month now. I thought I would be flat, but I surprised myself. During the warmup, which for me was one lap, I got wet and cold and decided to do the rest of my "warmup" in the Ghetto Elephant. About 25 minutes before the race I went to the bathroom then rode the 1/2 lap to the start where I stood by the fire until the absolute last moment. The race for me now is pretty much a blur. I rode clean which is probably why I won. JeanBean had a great start but missed a turn and went into the course tape. Lynda rode well, but crashed. Yeah, that's right... I won. The only thing that stands out about today's race is that it was the first "real" cross race of the season... muddy, wet, and cold conditions. How ironic that the last race of the season is the first race that had all the elements of a true cross race?

The podium shot. Lynda is missing... she had to get home to the kids. Notice we are all bundled up.

The Merckx after today's race. This is the first time that I have to clean the cross bike after a race.

It's bittersweet, the end of the season. I can't believe I have to wait until October 2008 until the next cross race. But in a way I'm relieved.

Chicken

No comments: